Getting a professional teeth cleaning twice a year is the foundation of good oral health. Even if you brush and floss diligently at home every day, there is no replacement for the meticulous preventive care delivered by your La Jolla dentist and hygienist. At La Jolla Dental Image, we provide teeth cleanings to patients of all ages to help you maintain healthy teeth and gums for life.
What to Expect at a Teeth Cleaning
Your dental visits for preventive care may not last very long, but many important things happen at these appointments every six months, including:
- Prep: Your medical history will be reviewed to confirm whether any major changes or developments have occurred since your last appointment that might affect your oral health, including any medications you may be taking or treatments you are undergoing.
- Teeth cleaning: Your dental hygienist will use special instruments to scrape away hardened bacteria, plaque, and tartar, followed by a thorough flossing and polishing. Surface stains will be eliminated and your teeth will be smooth, shiny, whiter, and clean.
- Dental exam: Your La Jolla dentist will conduct a comprehensive dental exam to review x-rays (if you have any taken at that visit), investigate potential trouble spots, assess the health of your gums and bite, and look for signs of gum recession, decay, or other problems.
- Oral cancer screening: Oral cancer is an aggressive disease and early detection is critical to successful treatment. Your dentist will check your lips, gums, tongue, palate, cheeks, tonsils, and neck for any suspicious patches or lumps.
- Patient education: If you have questions about dental products, cosmetic dentistry treatments, or how to improve your brushing, flossing, and overall oral health, now is the time to ask and discuss options with your dentist and hygienist.
The Importance of Professional Teeth Cleanings
If you take excellent care your teeth and gums at home and aren’t experiencing any tooth or mouth pain, you may be tempted to skip your teeth cleaning and dental exam. Even if you don’t have any problems, it’s important for everyone to see their dentist regularly. Here’s why:
- You can’t clean everything. No matter how diligent you are about cleaning your teeth at home, there is no substitute for the hygienist’s dental tools, including the ability to really clean in and around those hard-to-reach molars or pesky crooked or overlapping teeth.
- Your dentist notices things you can’t. Early gum disease, cavities, deteriorating dental work, cracks – your dentist will see the small issues your untrained eye never could and address them before they become big problems.
- You will maintain a good foundation. Thinking about cosmetic dentistry one day? You only qualify for a smile makeover if your oral health is in good condition. Staying up to date on your teeth cleanings ensures that you’re ready for anything.
Is It Time to Schedule Your Teeth Cleaning in La Jolla?
Your teeth work hard every day, biting and chewing and getting bathed in food and bacteria. Without regular professional cleanings, you leave yourself susceptible to all sorts of complications. Rely on the gentle and thorough dental team at La Jolla Dental Image to keep your mouth healthy.
At our dental practice in La Jolla, we use the most advanced equipment and latest procedures to produce smiles that are brighter, whiter, and healthier. Plus, we offer teeth cleanings to patients of all ages. From kids to teens to adults to seniors, we want to see you every six months so we can help your oral health stay on track and ensure that your teeth and gums are in good condition. Contact us today to schedule your appointment in La Jolla, California.